The regal sapphire has been cherished for hundreds of years and in 1912 was named the official birthstone of the month of September by the American National Association of Jewelers. The sapphire is also one of the stones for the Zodiac signs of Pisces, Taurus, Virgo and Sagittarius.
The sapphire gets its name from the Greek word for sappheiros, meaning blue. For me, I close my eyes and picture the deep blue seas of Santorini. When we think of sapphires we generally think of “blue” but we do get sapphires in other colours too. Green and yellow as well as the more rare deep pink sapphire. Hues of orange and brown, clear and the exceptional colour change sapphires, which shift their colour slightly, other more expensive stones changing dramatically.
Tradition states that the tablets containing the Ten Commandments were composed of sapphire, making it the most sacred of all gemstones. Because of its heavenly approval, the sapphire was the choice of royalty throughout the ages and thought to have brought good fortune, holiness, faithfulness and loyalty. The British Crown Jewels to this day remain heavily encrusted in sapphires.
Another belief is that the ancient Persians believed that the earth rested on a giant sapphire and its reflection colored the sky.
Today celebrities are drawn to the blue stone, admiring its classic beauty and often adorning themselves in it for red carpet events. For me, Princess Diana stands out the most when I think of celebrities wearing sapphires. Here she is seen in a seven strand pearl and sapphire choker. The large sapphire with two rows of diamonds surrounding it was originally a brooch, given to the Princess by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother as a wedding gift. The Princess wore it as a brooch on two occasions, but decided to have it altered to be the center piece of a pearl choker. And course the famous engagement ring; a dazzling oval blue 18-carat sapphire and diamond ring that now sits on the beautiful Kate!
Now we might not be able to embellish ourselves to the likes of royality and Hollywood stars but you are definitely able to to satisfy your Sapphire Desires with our picks from The Jewellery Channel.
- Kanchanaburi Marquise Cut Blue Sapphire Lever Back Earrings in 14K Gold Overlay Sterling Silver
- Kanchanaburi Oval Cut Blue Sapphire, Diamond Bracelet in Platinum Overlay Sterling Silver
- Kanchanaburi Round Cut Blue Sapphire Hoop Earrings in Platinum Overlay Sterling Silver
- Kanchanaburi Round Cut Blue Sapphire Pendant With Chain in Platinum Overlay Sterling Silver
- Kanchanaburi Round Cut Blue Sapphire Ring in Platinum Overlay Sterling Silver
- Rhapsody Ceylon Sapphire (1.15 Ct) and Diamond 950 Platinum Ring
- Pink Sapphire and Diamond 9K White Gold Ring
- 14K Yellow Gold Pink Oval Cut Sapphire and Diamond Pendant With Chain
Have a super duper weekend 🙂